Re: SMTP server

On 1/17/07, Grok Mogger <linuximp@gmail.com> wrote:
Hope no one minds if I hijack this thread.  =)

I just read through all the responses and was surprised to see
three people using postfix, one using exim4, and none using
sendmail.

I've heard so much about sendmail that I thought it was the de
facto standard.  I considered exim4 "that other MTA", and I have
never even heard of postfix until now.

Could someone please briefly tell me the differences between the
three in a nutshell?  And maybe recommend one for a newbie to
setup just as an experiment / learning experience?  (From this
thread, it sounds like postfix would be the choice in that
regard, but can't hurt to ask)

Sendmail is the grand daddy of MTAs. Configuration is very complex and
the learning curve is rather high.
Exim is the default MTA for Debian but that too has a rather complex
configuration for anyone coming in to the *NIX based MTAs from the
Windows world.
Postfix is the easiest to configure and has a damn good support list
and books too.
To qoute from postfix.org :
<quote>
What is Postfix? It is Wietse Venema's mailer that started life as an
alternative to the widely-used Sendmail program.

Postfix attempts to be fast, easy to administer, and secure, while at
the same time being sendmail compatible enough to not upset existing
users. Thus, the outside has a sendmail-ish flavor, but the inside is
completely different.
</quote>

As a linux user who came in from the windows world, I can say that
Postfix is the way to go in setting up a MTA in linux and Postfix on
Debian is even better as debian has all the sub components
(postfix-mysql,postfix-policyd,postfix-ldap,etc) you need as ready
made packages so you wont have to mess around with compiling to get
any particular feature added like you would have to do with other
distros.

--
Random Quotes From Megas XLR
Coop: You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff.