Re: Starts another X server with different virtual terminal (for with use USB VGA) ?

On 1/16/07, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:
Ben Lau wrote:
> $ sudo Xorg -- -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf-sisusb :1
>
> (The conf file is attached in the email. The session of input device
> is missed as I don't want it to use my keyboard in the test)
>
>  I could see the X cursor show on the monitor which is connected to
> the USB VGA. The X  should be running fine,  but I lost my current X
> in the original monitor. The screen is dark. Unless I press
> "Alt+Ctrl+F7" to switch back. Then it will cause the newly started X
> be dark. (Should be returned by "Alt+Ctrl+F8")
>
>  Seem that they shared the same virtual terminal (is it the right way
> to describe the problem?).The "XFree86 Local Multi-User Howto"
> suggested a method to solve but require a patched kernel. Any other
> way to solve the problem?
I always run two X sessions (one for myself and one for my wife) in
seperate virtual terminals, but on a single physical monitor.  I add the
virtual terminal to the end of the startx command, as in:

    startx -- :0 vt07

The vt07 is used by my primary display , and now I would like to use
another vt that allow both of the display works simultaneously. The
previous command will allocate vt8 for secondary display but it don't
allow them to work simultaneously. I must press Alt+Ctrl+F7|F8 to
activate either one.

I suspect that you could do the same thing with the xorg command:

    Xorg -- -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf-sisusb :1 vt07

BTW, do you really want to be running X as root?

I can't start Xorg without root. That is the error message:

$ Xorg -config xorg.conf-sisusb -logfile ~/tmp/xorg.log :1

[:snipped:]

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

$ sudo chgrp video /dev/tty0  /dev/tty8  #I am a member of video group
$ Xorg -config xorg.conf-sisusb -logfile ~/tmp/xorg.log :1

[:snipped:]

Fatal server error:
xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)

Modules like "int10","vbe" has been commented but it still call ioperm().

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com