An ftp question

Hi you all.

Maybe this is a little bit be off topic, but I googled around and did not found an answer.

I wanna move some files from one dir to another on the same host and I have no ssh access to this host.

Can I do it with ftp? and if not, is there any tool like ftp which can accomplish this task?

I tried with Konqueror but the transfer takes a lot of time. ftp command line is faster but I can't download the files and upload them in the new position...

Any suggestion?

regards
raffaele