Re: Samba Client: Permission Denied on Mounted Share

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 10:38 -0800, Toney wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:

> > > The UGM perms are drwxrwxrwx on the mout point
> > > I am connecting as Winders domain administrator
> > > The Winders security on the Winders shares is Everyone Full Control
> > > smb.conf is what is installed by default by dselect.
> > > This setup works with 2000 server shares, but not XP shares.
> > > In other words, I have tried all the obvious things.
> > > Help!
> >
> > Ok, we need the kernel versions for both the Slack and Debian machines
> > and the Samba version from each.
> >
> > I believe this is a matter of SMB mounting versus CIFS mounting.
> Slack:  Kernel: 2.4.29
>            smbclient: 2.2.0a
>
> Deb:     Kernel: 2.6.8-2-686-smp (from dselect)
>             smbclient: 3.0.14.a-Debian (from dselect)

Form the kernel: typically "uname -a" works.

For Debian and list things: "dpkg -l | grep <pattern>"

First off, running such an ancient and unsupported version of Samba... I
am surprised it works.

smbclient using the 2.6 kernel is deprecated. (this likely being your
issue)

CIFS mounting is the best way to work. "mount -tcifs blah blah blah"

So "man mount"

Samba v3.0.14a in ANY case is so old, Microsoft has made "tweaks" to
break the networking protocol stack as to break samba. You'll need to
get a backport of samba from "backports" (I don't know the address/url
to help with that) for it to work on Sarge.

Have fun. Dealing with the beast/vole is always a day from Hell for me.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux