Re: Samba Client: Permission Denied on Mounted Share

Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 10:38 -0800, Toney wrote:
> > Greg Folkert wrote:

> > > Ok, we need the kernel versions for both the Slack and Debian machines
> > > and the Samba version from each.
> > >
> > > I believe this is a matter of SMB mounting versus CIFS mounting.
> > Slack:  Kernel: 2.4.29
> >            smbclient: 2.2.0a
> >
> > Deb:     Kernel: 2.6.8-2-686-smp (from dselect)
> >             smbclient: 3.0.14.a-Debian (from dselect)
>
> Form the kernel: typically "uname -a" works.
>
> For Debian and list things: "dpkg -l | grep <pattern>"
>
> First off, running such an ancient and unsupported version of Samba... I
> am surprised it works.
>
> smbclient using the 2.6 kernel is deprecated. (this likely being your
> issue)
>
> CIFS mounting is the best way to work. "mount -tcifs blah blah blah"
>
> So "man mount"
>
> Samba v3.0.14a in ANY case is so old, Microsoft has made "tweaks" to
> break the networking protocol stack as to break samba. You'll need to
> get a backport of samba from "backports" (I don't know the address/url
> to help with that) for it to work on Sarge.
>
> Have fun. Dealing with the beast/vole is always a day from Hell for me.
> --
> greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
>
> The technology that is
> Stronger, better, faster:  Linux
>
> --=-pdAMshH6OWYWvogfC0uO

Me and my deprecated ass tried "-t cifs" and voila!  It worked.

It is a good thing I hadn't yet compiled a custom kernel for this quad
IBM xSeries 350.  I would have looked at "CIFS" under files systems in
menuconfig and unchecked it like I always do.

Thanks a mil.

Toney