Re: [OT/Sometimes Windows is better] Horrible GNOME File Picker (Was: Open (helper application chooser) for iceweasel/icedove is too simple)

Nyizsnyik Ferenc said...
> On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 14:47 +0000, marc wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > In passing, I'll mention that the Windows' file manager Directory Opus 8
> > [1] is something that the Nautilus, Konqueror and Krusader folk should
> > examine. If Linux could get close to just its two pane setup, I would be
> > a happy man. Add to Opus 8 the integration of TortoiseSVN, and Windows
> > deals Linux a good few healthy blows.
> >

> I use Gnome-commander. It has the traditional two-pane layout and pretty
> much the basic functions a file manager needs. I'm satisfied with it.

It looks like yet another Total Commander clone with limited
functionality. A quick look, but I couldn't figure out how to type in a
location. There doesn't appear to be a tree view either - less, for each
panel.

But that's my point, really: why continue to clone TC, when there are so
many additional functions out there on other tools that leave TC in the
dust? If devs stick their heads in the sand and ignore developments then
things will atrophy. In fact, in the domain of file mangers, I think
they atrophied some time ago on Linux. And that's a shame.

--
Cheers,
Marc