Re: [OT/Sometimes Windows is better] Horrible GNOME File Picker (Was: Open (helper application chooser) for iceweasel/icedove is too simple)

Andrei Popescu said...
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:47:52 -0000
> marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:
>
> > Erik Steffl said...
> > >    Not sure if it's standard gtk/gnome file open dialog, but it's
> > > the one used to pick application when opening an attachement and
> > > downloading files (it's probably used in other places as well).
> > >
> > >    The dialog has two parts - left part has shortcut to user home
> > > dir, desktop and filesystem, right side has list of
> > > files/directories.
> > >
> > >    it is not possible to just write in the file (like it is common
> > > with other file open/save dialogs) which is VERY annoying, e.g. if
> > > I want to open a text file using gvim I have to figure out where
> > > gvim is and click all the way there, instead of just typing gvim
> > > (and assume it's in path).
> > >
> > >    is there any way to configure these? are these standard gnome
> > > file open dialogs?
> >
> > In passing, I'll mention that the Windows' file manager Directory
> > Opus 8 [1] is something that the Nautilus, Konqueror and Krusader
> > folk should examine. If Linux could get close to just its two pane
> > setup, I would be a happy man. Add to Opus 8 the integration of
> > TortoiseSVN, and Windows deals Linux a good few healthy blows.
>
> For me Opus 8 is too bloated.

Bloated is one of those spurious apparent criticisms that doesn't mean
anything, though. In any case, why would anyone translate the "bloat"
when porting functions to Linux?

> Total Commander (former Windows Commander) is much faster

In what way is Opus 8 slow? There's no lag in any file manager I've used
recently - except those that poll through directories to perform "mime
magic".

In any case, my comment was not about the "best" file manager on Windows
- which is just another emacs vs vim debate - but the fact that the
Linux file managers could learn a lot from the mature file managers on
Windows. If Total Commander has functions worthy of borrowing, then
that's good too.

> But I don't know what you mean by the two pane setup sentence.
> Krusader has that by default.

As I said, I use Krusader, but its limited layout options is a good
example of what not to do, imo. IOW, a good example to learn from.

--
Cheers,
Marc