Re: Root privilege (SOLVED)

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 14:50 -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> > Please investigate sudo and sux.  If used properly, they are more secure
> > and certainly more standard than your hack.
>
> Done..!  :-)
>
> Now, please explain how I can use sudo to tranfer X credentials ..

sudo does not transfer X credentials like sux does.  It works because it
does not (by default) modify your environment, so $HOME still evaluates
to the home of the user running sudo.  xauth looks for the Xauthority
file in $HOME/.Xauthority.  Likewise, the DISPLAY variable is not
modified.

> Also, I'm curious as to what makes sux "more secure".

sux has additional options to limit what is being transferred to the
root (or other) user.  For example, the cookies may be transferred as
"untrusted" (see man xauth) or not transferred at all.  See man sux for
further options.

Regards,
Casey Deccio