Re: new to debian but having installation problems

On Monday 01 January 2007 02:24, Mike Myers wrote:
> On 1/1/07, Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> wrote:
> >
> > m-a update
> > m-a prepare
> > m-a a-i nvidia
> >
> > modconf
> >   -> select and load the nvidia module
> >
> > m-a stands for the module-assistant. The above procedure requires for you
> > have contrib non-free (along with main) added to your apt-get mirrors in
> > the /etc/apt/sources.list
> >
> > You will need to do this every time you update your kernel.
> >
> > hth
> > raju
> >

> That's good to know!  What is all that doing behind the scenes?  I'm used
> to loading the module manually and adding a line in
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel- 2.6 so it is loaded while booting up.  So I
> would just do like,
>
> modprobe nvidia; echo "nvidia" >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6;
>
> and be done.  If you can point me to where I can RTFM that'd be awsome,
> heh.  Thanks!

the modconf command essentially does what you would be doing with modprobe,
but in a "GUI" way. Both modconf, m-a are explained in their man pages (not
very clear but good enough if you know what they do).

Documentation on nvidia can be found at
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html

It has been a long time since I have looked at these, so there might be other
new documents as well.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

$200,000 Loan for as Low as $771/mo
Other refi and home equity loans available. Serious inquiries only.
http://tags.bluebottle.com/fc/BgLEQfI70YdFKaR89GV1YVShpbFiqFnnYFJy/