Re: new to debian but having installation problems

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 02:10:40PM -0500, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> On Monday 01 January 2007 02:24, Mike Myers wrote:
> > On 1/1/07, Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > m-a update
> > > m-a prepare
> > > m-a a-i nvidia
> > >
> > > modconf
> > >   -> select and load the nvidia module

> the modconf command essentially does what you would be doing with modprobe,
> but in a "GUI" way. Both modconf, m-a are explained in their man pages (not
> very clear but good enough if you know what they do).
>
> Documentation on nvidia can be found at
> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html

I'm using amd64 Etch.

I'm using nVIDIA EN7300GT silent and I'm using the nvidia driver since I
want to use hardware playback not software.  If I remember right, here's
how I did it (it wasn't painful at all in fact it was so simple it
didn't stick in my head too well):

	Get x working with the nv driver.

	Manually copy xorg.conf to xorg.conf.nv (later steps do
	something similar but I'm paranoid)

	install: (remember to have contrib and non-free in
				/etc/apt/sources.list)
		nvidia-glx

		(in my case) nvidia-kernel-2.6-amd64 (the generic nvidia
		kernel package that matches the generic kernel package,
		both depend on the most recent kernel, great for
		updates).

 		nvidia-settings

		nvidia-xconfig

	read all the man pages and docs in /usr/share/doc/nvidia*

	run nvidia-xconfig
		it alters your xorg.conf file and gets everything ready
		to run with the new module.  Module loading happens
		automatically.

I never needed to use modconf or module-assistant or the source.

Good luck.

Doug.