Re: how to copy and/or rip DVDs with Debian?

Bruno Buys wrote:

vineyard,
Your win-friends should have used dvdshrink for that. I found K9copy to
be the closest alternative in the linux world. when I first found it I
got very happy, but by now, k9copy crashed enough to lower my happines a
gret deal. It seems, indeed, to be unable to deal some drm-infected media.

Stable Debian programs rarely crash. If you are experiencing disk read errors it could resemble a crash (but is not), and may be related to intentional media errors put on some DVDs, apparently called "Sony ARccOS." E.g see:

http://hardware.mcse.ms/message221383.html

If this is what you are seeing, it would suggest that your application does not yet recognize or deal with this type of DVD. Very little information about it appears on the web.