Re: how to copy and/or rip DVDs with Debian?

vineyard saker wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> First happy new year to all!
>
> Second - please bear with me, I am a DVD-issue newbie & ignoramous,
> but I need some help.
>
> I am DESPERATELY trying to copy encrypted commercial DVDs but nothing
> works.  Programs such as k9copy or k3b get cold feet with encrypted
> DVD so I decided to use the very good and simple CLI tools dvdbackup
> and growisofs. This is what I did:
>
> First I make an image of the source DVD with:
>
> dvdbackup -i /media/hdc/ -M -o /home/vees/DVDBackups/ -n
> NameOfTheBackupedDVD
>
> And that works great.
>
> Then I tried burning the image to a DVD+RW with:
>
>   growisofs -Z  /dev/scd1 -dvd-video
> /home/vees/DVDBackups/NameOfTheBackupedDVD/
>
> This worked great too, as long as I copied small DVDs, less than the
> 4.7GB of a typical DVD+RW.  When I tried with a bigger DVD, the first
> part worked, but the burning did not.  Here is the error message I
> got:
>
> :-( /dev/scd1: 2295104 blocks are free, 3589847 to be written!
>
> I tried overburning with the -overburn  flag, but each time I got the
> same input/output error several times.  Here are two examples:
>
> 63.93% done, estimate finish Fri Dec 29 21:19:15 2006
>     :-? the LUN appears to be stuck writing LBA=230540h, keep retrying
> in 23ms
>     :-[ WRITE@LBA=230540h failed with SK=5h/ASC=63h/ACQ=00h]:
> Input/output error
> :-( write failed: Input/output error
> /dev/scd1: flushing cache
>     /dev/scd1: writing lead-out
>

>     63.79% done, estimate finish Sat Dec 30 10:55:15 2006
>  63.93% done, estimate finish Sat Dec 30 10:55:15 2006
>  :-[ WRITE@LBA=230540h failed with SK=5h/ASC=63h/ACQ=00h]:
> Input/output error
>      :-( write failed: Input/output error
>  /dev/scd1: flushing cache
>  /dev/scd1: writing lead-out
>
> I turns out that I needed either a Dual Layer DVD+R (DL) or a Double
> Layer DVD-R(DL) which each have  8.5GB of space (This is the first
> time I had heard of such double-layer DVDs)
>
> Today I bought three DVD+R(DL) and all went perfectly until I stuck
> the DVD into my regular (living room) DVD player which could not read
> it!  I tried on my computer with mplayer and it could read it with no
> problem whatsoever so the DVD itself is not at fault.  I can only
> conclude that some DVD players do not play DVD+R(DL).
>
> Except.  Except that I was given several copied DVD by friends which
> my DVD player *did* play.  Which brings me to the only logical
> conclusion: there must be a way to "squeeze", for example, a 6.9GB
> movie into a "regular"  4.7GB DVD+RW.  (This is what the software of
> my windoze-using friends seemed to have done.)
>
> HOW DO I DO THIS WITH DEBIAN?!?!?!?!?!?!??!
>
> Also - the computer I work on is an ancient 300MHz machine without
> soundcard (too old) so there is no way for me to "check" a DVD on it.
> I can run it on anther computer (using a live-CD of BSD with mplayer)
> [...]
vineyard,
Your win-friends should have used dvdshrink for that. I found K9copy to
be the closest alternative in the linux world. when I first found it I
got very happy, but by now, k9copy crashed enough to lower my happines a
gret deal. It seems, indeed, to be unable to deal some drm-infected media.
If you like the cli, I'd strongly suggest that you read and try this:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=244913&highlight=dvrequant

which is as simple as a bunch of commands can be. And they give you a
lot of freedom, once you understand whats going on. The author also
wrote a script to automatize the whole thing.

DVD's are mpegs, as said. You can concatenate them and them demux,
requantize, remux, and have them shrinked. I guess that's what all apps
do, in one way or another.
And regarding your dvd player, try to check what hardware and software
specs are supported, in the manual.

I have just returned from my mother-in-law's, and her dvd player
couldn't read a mpeg movie written to a regular 4.4GB dvd-r. This is
curious: in the other hand, my mother bought a dvd player (without a
clue on brands and models...) which we found to be quite smart, reading
several standards of media, and also mpeg files written as 'data disc'
(like there can be another kind...). But as a rule, these devices are
stupid. Computers are evidently more programmable. So, to succeed
reading a disc in a dvd player, you have to go through a bit of
trial-and-error, with media types and procedures.

Most new dvd players read rw media, but older ones don't. And, a 'double
layer' media is quite different from a 'double face' or 'double sided'
media (the name may change). A 'double layer' media is seen by the
system as one single storage device with 8.5GB. That's why you can copy
a commercial dvd into it without any black magic. If your final media is
4.7GB (4.4GB actually), you are stuck into having to shrink it.

And: doing all this in a 300MHz system will be painful, sorry to say that.