solved: agpgart with 965 in etch?

On Saturday, 23. December 2006 18:23, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Friday 22 December 2006 09:12, Jörg Becker wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using the 2.6.18-3-amd64 image on my machine. But unfortunately
> > this kernel lacks 965 support in the agpgart / intel-agp module (see
> > linux-source-2.6.18/drivers/char/agp/intel-agp.c).
> >
> > Any suggestions how to get agpgart working with the popular 965
> > chipset in etch?
>
> I had to rebuild the kernel with 2.6.19 (which is the first kernel to
> have support for the intel agp device).
>
> You will need the "kernel-package" package.
>
> Download the source of the kernel from one of the kernel.org mirrors and
> then expand it into a directory (say) ~/src
>
> copy /boot/config... from your existing debian machine into
> ~/src/.config
>
> then make menuconfig (or other kernel config tool).
>
> I have an Intel DG965SS motherboard and in order to allow it to
> recognise my IDE DVD RW (I have SATA hard drives) I had to make IDE
> support builtin (as opposed to a module) AND the use "all-generic-ide"
> boot parameter
>
> then use make-kpkg to build you a deb for your machine which you then
> install
>
> (There are full instructions in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz)

Thank you very much! The 2.6.19 sources are the solution. I have not rebuild
my own kernel, but only the intel-agp module (for this I merged the 2.6.19.1
intel-agp.c with the debian 2.6.18 sources). So I'm working now with an
original debian 2.6.18 kernel + my own intel-agp module. After insmod of my
new intel-agp module 'dmesg | grep agp' report my 965 chipset:

Linux agpgart interface v0.101 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected an Intel 965Q Chipset.
agpgart: Detected 7676K stolen memory.
agpgart: AGP aperture is 512M @ 0xc0000000

Since the 965 chipset is a very common and popular one and my solution means
only adding a couple of lines of code (from a released kernel, so it should
be tested and installed on some machines) I put my solution as a wish on the
debian-kernel list. I didn't get any answer yet but I'm still hoping etch
will support popular hardware released 6 month ago.

Jörg