Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:

> Matthias Julius wrote:
>>
>> Excuse me, but there is no provision to provide basic needs like food
>> and medical care for poor people in the US?
>>

> There is.  However, the majority of it is handled through private
> donations.  Rescue missions, soup kitchens, that sort of thing.
> Providing *emergency* medical care to those who can't pay, even to
> indigents, is a requirement (placed by the government) of practically
> every hospital.  The rest of us who can pay get to subsidize through
> higher insurance and medical costs, no taxes involved there (usually).

What is the medicare tax for that I pay?

> Now, I personally thing that such community outreach activites are the
> province of local *charities*.  It's that simple.  If people *want* to
> help with things, then let them.  But don't force them at gun point
> (basically what the government does).

It is great when there are people who want to donate time and
resources to social services.  But, I wouldn't want to put the fate of
the people in need on whether there are enough donations coming
together to support their life.

Besides, the US government is spending tax money for other social
activities like supporting hurricane victims.  It is even spending
money in foreign countries.  And certainly not every tax payer is
approving this.

Matthias