Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Matthias Julius wrote:
> "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:
>

>>OK.  (This assumes you own a home).  Figure out how much you paid in
>>property taxes last year.  Multiply that by 50.  Now, do you think you
>>could fund your child(ren)'s education for 12 years on that?  I could
>>probably afford to educate about 10 children, just on that money.  Not
>>to mention that where I live, there is an additional "education levy" on
>>top of the regular property tax.
>

> Does your whole property tax go towards public schools?  I imagine
> this would only be a fraction of that.

Not sure.  I'd have to check into that.  Either way, good point.

>>Even better, people who are childless are no longer burdened with paying
>>for education of children they don't even have.
>

> So there are people without children who pay for public education.
> This means the average parent who has kids in a public school is
> paying less than what he would have to if he had to pay it all by
> himself.

Doesn't that make you feel cheap, though?  I mean, I can understand if
you are unemployed or if you have fallen on hard times financially.
However, I don't particularly like the fact that I and my neighbors
(very few of whom have school age children, must are grown up) are
*forced* by the government to subsidize education for *everyone else's*
children.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez