Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Matthias Julius wrote:
> "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:
>

>>Please explain to me why schooling must be treated differently from food
>>clothing and medical care.  Really, explain it.  If a parent neglects
>>his or her child, the child suffers.  This is no different.  Your
>>argument is like saying that because the government does not ration food
>>out to everyone, if a parent doesn't feed his child that the child is
>>made responsible.  That is patently absurd.
>

> Excuse me, but there is no provision to provide basic needs like food
> and medical care for poor people in the US?

There is.  However, the majority of it is handled through private
donations.  Rescue missions, soup kitchens, that sort of thing.
Providing *emergency* medical care to those who can't pay, even to
indigents, is a requirement (placed by the government) of practically
every hospital.  The rest of us who can pay get to subsidize through
higher insurance and medical costs, no taxes involved there (usually).

Now, I personally thing that such community outreach activites are the
province of local *charities*.  It's that simple.  If people *want* to
help with things, then let them.  But don't force them at gun point
(basically what the government does).

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez