Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Matthias Julius wrote:
> "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:
>

>>I would *certainly* want to put private profit interest above a social
>>system.  Know why?  There is no stronger motivator in business than
>>profit.  Please look at the quality and level of service of monopoly
>>phone carrier ISPs (bellsouth, sbc, etc) compared to the indenepdents
>>(SpeakEasy sticks out in my mind).  SpeakEasy is *cheaper* and has
>>service that is light years ahead the monopoly carriers.
>

> I don't see how a profit oriented business could be social.  How would
> you enable people from the lower end of society to get their children
> educated?

I don't enable them.  They enable themselves.  Please repeay after me,
"It is not the government's responsibility to be a nanny."  People need
to take responsibility for themselves and their own actions.  The
abrogation of personal responsibility is one of the greatest travesties
of the 20th century.

>>What you are saying is that if the government controlled everything, we
>>would be better off.  That might work someplace like the Star Trex: TNG
>>universe, but places like Cuba and the USSR have shown what that would
>>really be like.
>

> No, I don't want the government to control everything.  I want it to
> control natural monopolies like the road system.  And I want it to
> ensure that nobody is left out and everyone has the basics to survive
> and to get a chance in live.

I think I am done in this thread.  There have been requests that we
knock it off.  I move that we do so.  How about we all just agree to
disagree and go back to bashing microsoft?

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto