Re: new to debian but having installation problems

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 11:24:03AM -0600, Mike Myers wrote:

> Thanks for the tips!  I downloaded the etch cd and it detected my card and
> installed fine.  The only issue now is getting the nvidia driver installed.
> The 'nv' driver doesn't work with my widescreen display at all.  It looks
> like to do this, I need to have a custom kernel so the driver from nvidia
> can build a module for it.  Might there be an easier way to do this?

yup. install the nvidia-kernel package appropriate for your
system. you will have to add the 'non-free' repository to your
sources.list.

edit /etc/apt/sources.list
you will find a line like

deb http://somemirror.here.org/debian/ etch main

add to the end of that line "contrib non-free" without the quotes

deb http://somemirror.here.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free

use your favorite package manager to update the cache

apt-get update
aptitude update
etc.

apt-cache search nvidia-kernel and check out the various
packages. probably you want nvidia-kernel-2.6-<arch> or
nvidia-kernel-legacy-2.6-<arch>

enjoy