new to debian but having installation problems

Hello,

I'm new to debian, but not to linux.  I've been using Gentoo for the past 6 years or so, but I'm getting tired of having to make sure any new updates aren't going to destroy my systems.  I'm just wanting a system I can use instead of babysit.  So I was going to try debian out because of apt-get, and the fact that it has releases instead of having major updates released on live systems.

So anyways, I grabbed the netinst install cd and boot to it, only to find out that it can't find my e1000 ethernet card...?  Is there some kind of known problem with this card and the netinst cd or something?  I can use it without any problems in Gentoo and windows.

Any help would be appreciated!