Re: new to debian but having installation problems

On 12/30/06, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 11:05:09PM -0600, Mike Myers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to debian, but not to linux.  I've been using Gentoo for the past 6
> years or so, but I'm getting tired of having to make sure any new updates
> aren't going to destroy my systems.  I'm just wanting a system I can use
> instead of babysit.  So I was going to try debian out because of apt-get,
> and the fact that it has releases instead of having major updates released
> on live systems.

Welcom to the wonderful world of Debian!

Thanks!

> So anyways, I grabbed the netinst install cd and boot to it, only to find
> out that it can't find my e1000 ethernet card...?  Is there some kind of
> known problem with this card and the netinst cd or something?  I can use it
> without any problems in Gentoo and windows.

Which netinst CD did you download?  Which e1000 card do you have?  Maybe
the output of `lspci -vvv` showing the section for that card?

> Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto

Thanks for the prompt response!

I'm using the i386 netinst.  The ethernet card is an intel 1000gigabit ethernet pro.  When I boot to the cd and go into a second terminal, lspci doesn't run.  I guess it doesn't come with the netinst livecd.