Re: new to debian but having installation problems

On 12/30/06, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 11:20:41PM -0600, Mike Myers wrote:

> Thanks for the prompt response!
>
> I'm using the i386 netinst.  The ethernet card is an intel 1000gigabit
> ethernet pro.  When I boot to the cd and go into a second terminal, lspci
> doesn't run.  I guess it doesn't come with the netinst livecd.

Did you get the Sarge, Etch or Sid netinst?  Do you have Gentoo
installed on the system?  If so, use that to run lspci.  If not, do you
have a LiveCD (Knoppix or something like that) that you can use?

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto

I got the i386 stable.. which I think is sarge? (i'm not caught up on the lingo yet :P)  Here's the url I used: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r4/i386/iso-cd/debian-31r4-i386-netinst.iso

Anyways, I still have Gentoo on that machine, and lspci just tells me that it's an Intel 1000Gigabit Ethernet Pro.  I'm not at the machine now to copy it verbatim, but it uses the e1000 driver in the kernel.  The install cd has that module in the list of modules for network cards, but the installer says it can't find the card.  I can try to tinker with it when I get home in about 20 minutes.  With my kind of luck, I prolly just need to modprobe it instead of rely on the installer to find it >.>