Re: apt cache files (*.bin) corruption

Hi,

In article <[🔎] 45904879.90506@cox.net>,
           José Alburquerque<jaalburquerque@cox.net> wrote:
> I'm really no expert, just suggesting as best I know to help with what
> I've seen, but I really don't think that running apt-file is what
> corrupts your bin files.  Maybe others know better?  Thanks.

You could be right.

I have a cron job that runs overnight and does:

/usr/bin/aptitude update 2>&1 > /dev/null
sleep 5
/usr/bin/apt-file update 2>&1 > /dev/null
sleep 5
/usr/bin/aptitude -d -y -f dist-upgrade 2>&1 > /dev/null
sleep 5
/usr/bin/aptitude -s -y -f dist-upgrade 2>&1 | /usr/bin/Mail andy -s "Package status"
sleep 5
/usr/bin/aptitude autoclean 2>&1 > /dev/null

This is corrupting the files pretty much every night.

However, if I run this script manually (after deleting the *.bin files) then
it completes successfully (I assumed it was the apt-file that was doing it
because I generally just run aptitude update when I do it manually).

Very odd...

Andy