Re: Clon disks with dd command

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 01:57:15AM -0300, Alejandro wrote:
> Marc Shapiro wrote:
> >Alejandro wrote:
> >>Dear Paul, just a last short question: suppose I have a hard disk A
> >>with Linux and I want to clon this disk (A) to a new hard disk B; is
> >>it possible to boot into single user from A and then execute "dd if=A
> >>of=B" ??
> >>
> >>Or do I have to get another machine with a hard disk C with Linux and
> >>from here execute "dd if=A of=B" ???
> >How about booting from a live CD, and then issuing the dd command
> >(after making sure that neither disk is mounted).
> Finally: booting from a live CD and executing "dd if=A of=B"...is there
> any risk of lost of data or damage of the source hard disk (A) using the
> "dd" command ??? Because it's the firt time I need to clon an entire
> disk of a data base server with very critical data...I'm scared :(

well there's always *some* risk, but not anymore than any other method
of duplicating the data. Lesson learned though, figure out backup
strategy *before* the disk is full of critical data... right? ;-)

Of much more concern, I think, in your situation is making the the
resulting copy is accurate and usable.