Re: Clon disks with dd command

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 01:25:15PM -0300, Alejandro wrote:
> Hi all, I have a Debian Etch machine with a SCSI HD as a master disk. I
> want to make a clon to another similar SCSI HD (same model and size), in
> order to use it if the production disk fails.
>
> People talk about "dd" command, telling it's possible to get a exact
> mirror from one disk to another just running this:
>
> dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
>
> Is this just the solution ??? No matter with the MBR or something else ???

Hello Alejandro,

(I am assuming you are still trying to solve the problem you posted
about last night).

You would be much better off using RAID1.  My reason for suggesting that
is that should /dev/sda fail, how will you switch over to the other
disk?  You mentioned a remote data center, so I don't imagine you will
have ready access to your machine all the time.  Additionally, depending
on how you do the switch, some things may get confused (like /etc/fstab
mounts and pretty much anything else that relies on knowing the correct
identifier for the disk).

Again, it is just a suggestion.

Regards,

-Roberto