Re: [half-solved] Re: Alsa needs reconfiguration after every reboot

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 09:20:08PM -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 01:17:42PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> >
> > How strange.  I can't log in to anything other than Gnome.  icewm is
> > installed,m is my default window manager, but I get Gnome.
> >
> Hi hendrik,
> what does this say:
> ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager
> this is a symbolic link to the current window manager on Debian systems.
> Gnome is not a window manager, metacity is, as well as icewm.  The Gnome
> enviroment usually starts with gdm (gnome display manager) and than
> launches metacity (the window manager).

hendrik@lovesong:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 16 Jan 10  2006 /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager -> /usr/bin/openbox

It's xdm I'm using, which doesn't provide a nice menu for choosing a
window manager.

I have one same home directory, which I use from several machines, a
32-bit AMD running either sarge or etch, and an 64-bit AMD runnning
etch.

I thought the use of icewm would be in one of the inscrutable dot-files
in my home directory.  I get icewm nicely in 32-bit sarge and 64-bit
etch, but not in 32-but etch.

By the way, I run xdm on 32-bit etch because gdm crashes.

-- hendrik