[OT] CVS vs. SVN

I've been using CVS (and RCS before it) for several years new.  I've
also looked at switched to SVN, but seem to recall that there was an SVN
"feature" whereby SVN applied to same version number to all files in the
project (repository?) whenever you checked something in.  I prefer a
more traditional scheme whereby version numbers are managed on a
per-file basis, and only change when the file changes.  Did I
misunderstand something?

I also need CVS's ability to deal with line endings, because I move text
files, source code, etc., between Windows/Cygwin and Linux for
development, testing, and use.  Can SVN deal with the various line
endings automatically like CVS?

David