Re: [half-solved] Re: Alsa needs reconfiguration after every reboot

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 01:17:42PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 06:18:12PM +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Tuesday 19 December 2006 17:19, vladimir.kozlov@idm.ru wrote:
> > > I've just found the reason (at least on my laptop): the problem is with
> > > esound package -
> > >
> > > rover:/home/rover# ps aux | grep esd
> > > rover     2655  0.0  0.4   2048   580 ?        S    18:39   0:00
> > > /usr/bin/esd -nobeeps
> > >
> > > prevents alsa from working. After alsaconf there is no esd running, but
> > > after reboot it appears again.
> > > How to disable esd on bootup - I could not deistall the esound package
> > > because it suggests to deinstall a gnome-desktop-environment package, and
> > > deinstall of esound-common suggests to deinstall a lot of other packages,
> > > that I would like to preserve as well...
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > >
> > > Vladimir.
> >
> > Esd should not be being started at bootup, as it's a Gnome thing, but will
> > probably be started when you login to Gnome. I can't login to Gnome on Etch
> > for some reason.
>
> How strange.  I can't log in to anything other than Gnome.  icewm is
> installed,m is my default window manager, but I get Gnome.

Hi hendrik,
what does this say:
ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager
this is a symbolic link to the current window manager on Debian systems.
Gnome is not a window manager, metacity is, as well as icewm.  The Gnome
enviroment usually starts with gdm (gnome display manager) and than
launches metacity (the window manager).
cheers,
kev