Re: [half-solved] Re: Alsa needs reconfiguration after every reboot

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 17:19, vladimir.kozlov@idm.ru wrote:
> I've just found the reason (at least on my laptop): the problem is with
> esound package -
>
> rover:/home/rover# ps aux | grep esd
> rover     2655  0.0  0.4   2048   580 ?        S    18:39   0:00
> /usr/bin/esd -nobeeps
>
> prevents alsa from working. After alsaconf there is no esd running, but
> after reboot it appears again.
> How to disable esd on bootup - I could not deistall the esound package
> because it suggests to deinstall a gnome-desktop-environment package, and
> deinstall of esound-common suggests to deinstall a lot of other packages,
> that I would like to preserve as well...
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Vladimir.

Esd should not be being started at bootup, as it's a Gnome thing, but will
probably be started when you login to Gnome. I can't login to Gnome on Etch
for some reason. It's probably annoyed that I use KDE. Anyway I booted up
Sarge, and logged into Gnome, there under "Applications/Desktop
Preferences/Sound" there is the option to start the sound server. You've
perhaps looked at this already, but if not, and the box is checked, uncheck
the darned thing.

Nigel.