Re: What is the best way to install Samba

On 18 Dec 2006 11:24:55 -0800, schmity wrote
> Ok I have my debian machine connected to a XP machine through a router.
>  I have made several attemps to install samba using apt-get and I
> have modified the smb.conf on several occations.  My first thought
> was to start with a fresh reinstall of Samba so that I could start
> with the original smb.conf file, but a simple apt-get remove -> apt-
> get install does not replace the original smb.conf file.  I am lost
> on this one.
>
> Questions,
>
> Do I need a static IP?  and if so How?
> How do I start with a fresh installation of Samba?
> How can I find out what I have installed using apt-get?

# apt-get --purge remove samba
# aptitude purge samba

Either of these should wipe out samba for you.
Static IP is probably your best bet, although I think you can
get away with having your samba server on a dynmanic IP since
it will broadcast itself to your XP machine.

# dpkg -l
# dpkg --get-selections

These will tell you whats installed on your system.
You may want to also check out:

http://www.tldp.org

Has some good docs on networking and samba, amongst others.

Cheers,
Mike