Re: What is the best way to install Samba

* schmity <schmity@nctv.com> [061218 13:52]:
> Ok I have my debian machine connected to a XP machine through a router.
>  I have made several attemps to install samba using apt-get and I have
> modified the smb.conf on several occations.  My first thought was to
> start with a fresh reinstall of Samba so that I could start with the
> original smb.conf file, but a simple apt-get remove -> apt-get install
> does not replace the original smb.conf file.  I am lost on this one.
>
> Questions,
>
> Do I need a static IP?  and if so How?
> How do I start with a fresh installation of Samba?
> How can I find out what I have installed using apt-get?

For connection between Etch and W2000 within my LAN, I found the
latest edition of the O'Reilly SAMBA book (available on-line without
charge) to be invaluable.  Installation on both machines went "by the
book", without a hitch.

RLH