dvd a no go

Running etch.  I used to be able to play dvds, but all of a sudden I
cannot.  They can neither be played nor mounted.  CDs work fine in
the same drive.  I realize it may be a hardware problem, but I wonder
if anyone who has experienced the same problem knows of any software
glitches I can check.  User is in the proper groups:

edj disk dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev users lpadmin

Perms and symlinks seem OK:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2006-12-17 17:03 dvd1 -> hdc
brw-rw-rw- 1 root cdrom 22,  0 2006-12-16 22:48 hdc

Any hints, pointers, advice, bad upgrade notices, etc. much
appreciated.  Thanks.