Re: What is the best way to install Samba

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:03:21 -0800
"michael" <michael@estone.ca> wrote:

> On 18 Dec 2006 11:24:55 -0800, schmity wrote
> > Ok I have my debian machine connected to a XP machine through a
> > router. I have made several attemps to install samba using apt-get
> > and I have modified the smb.conf on several occations.  My first
> > thought was to start with a fresh reinstall of Samba so that I
> > could start with the original smb.conf file, but a simple apt-get
> > remove -> apt- get install does not replace the original smb.conf
> > file.  I am lost on this one.
> >
> > Questions,
> >
> > Do I need a static IP?  and if so How?
> > How do I start with a fresh installation of Samba?
> > How can I find out what I have installed using apt-get?
>
> # apt-get --purge remove samba
> # aptitude purge samba
>
> Either of these should wipe out samba for you.

The file /etc/smb.conf is not a conffile, so it will not be removed by
purging the samba* packages. It has to be removed manually. The
samba-common package provides the sample
file /usr/share/samba/smb.conf, which contains some useful comments.
This can be copied to /etc/sam.conf and adapted to suit your purposes.

[...]

--

Liam