Re: Advice on staying current

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 06:17:45PM +0000, andy wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >
> >As long as your sources.list points only to etch (or testing) you should
> >be fine, though you probably should change any 'testing' to 'etch' before the
> >release.
> >Also, until the release, you could also put this in /etc/apt/apt.conf
> >(create it if you don't have it).
> >
> >    APT::Default-Release "unstable";
> >
> >You can always check your setup with 'apt-cache policy'. It should show
> >priority 990 for etch/testing and only 500 if you have sources for unstable
> >and/or stable as well.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Andrei
> >P.S. You might want to try 'upgrade' before 'dist-upgrade'. 'dist-upgrade'
> >is more aggresive and often not necessary. Also be sure to check what you
> >are upgrading, not to have any unpleasant surprises ;)
> >
> Thanks Andrei
>
> I didn't have /etc./apt/apt.conf so when I created it and ran apt-cache policy, the response was
                 ^^^^^^^
                  typo?

> all 500 (with the exception of 100). I know that I do have some sources from both stable and
> unstable (kernel module & linux headers IIRC, and possibly some media-related files).

Your default release should show 990 ... Did you do some pinning or similar stuff?
Maybe you should post your apt.conf, preferences, sources.list and output of 'apt-cache policy'

> What I was trying to get at in my original post was to see if there was a way of upgrading one's
> system by running a system-wide check which would then be cross-referenced to the sources,
> leading to out-of-date libs, etc. being identified for download.

It sounds like a 'upgrade' or 'dist-upgrade'. See man aptitude for the difference
between the two.

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. Please don't CC me. I read the list.
(Albert Einstein)