Re: Advice on staying current

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 04:08:13PM +0000, andy wrote:

Hey all

Well, this is about the anniversary of week one as a Debian Etch user, and I must say, it has
been a very cool experience so far. There have been a couple of hiccups, but as I haven't been
able to reproduce them, I'll let those slide for now. Otherwise, this has been a great experience
and I am loving having access to so many applications that install so well: what a breeze!!

Anyway, I just wanted to pick the collective brain here: short of doing a dist-upgrade with
apt-get, or upgrading individual packages, is there a third way of ensuring that the system-wide
software I am running is up-to-date (although, I don't want bleeding edge from Sid!!)?

As long as your sources.list points only to etch (or testing) you should
be fine, though you probably should change any 'testing' to 'etch' before the
release.
Also, until the release, you could also put this in /etc/apt/apt.conf
(create it if you don't have it).

    APT::Default-Release "unstable";

You can always check your setup with 'apt-cache policy'. It should show
priority 990 for etch/testing and only 500 if you have sources for unstable
and/or stable as well.

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. You might want to try 'upgrade' before 'dist-upgrade'. 'dist-upgrade'
is more aggresive and often not necessary. Also be sure to check what you
are upgrading, not to have any unpleasant surprises ;)

Thanks Andrei

I didn't have /etc./apt/apt.conf so when I created it and ran apt-cache policy, the response was all 500 (with the exception of 100). I know that I do have some sources from both stable and unstable (kernel module & linux headers IIRC, and possibly some media-related files).

What I was trying to get at in my original post was to see if there was a way of upgrading one's system by running a system-wide check which would then be cross-referenced to the sources, leading to out-of-date libs, etc. being identified for download.

Thanks

/A