Re: New Debian user

H Neils,

FYI, the Debian list has a custom of bottom posting so that a
conversatio flows (see the mail list info on the web site).  I've
altered your reply thus:

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 02:25:41PM +0100, Niels Rasmussen wrote:

> >If you look at the release notes for Etch you'll see that a testing box
> >shouldn't be connected directly to the internet.  If you have another
> >box to use as a firewall, then I would go with Etch.
> >

>> Thanks for reply.
>
> I'm not sure I want to repartitioning my other harddrive because I
> have 60 GB of music and fotos on it, so only one of them should have
> Debian on it.
> I presume it's possible to mount the media harddrive and catch my
> stuff from there ?
>
> My router has a fine internal firewall so hopefully it shold be safe
> to install Etch ? :-/
>
> /niller

Of course you can mount the other drive.  Just be careful where you
mount it.  Personally, I would suggest something like
/var/local/media (var since its variable data, local since its your
own).  I'd be interested to hear where wiser people would suggest.  Read
the policy manual and FHS to learn more about this.

If you trust the router's firewall then by all means go with Etch.

Good luck,

Doug.