New Debian user

Hi all

I am new to this list, works as Architectural engineer in Copenhagen DenmarK.

I have used several Linux distro's previously back in 1999, among them was:
Red Hat, Mandrake and Suse.

But due to my work (AutoCad) I had to install Windows (sadly enough !)

Now I've been fooling around with Windows and are getting pretty tired of it !!

Lastly I've tried Windows Vista RC1, and man, what a bloatware !!!!
It just like WinXP just somewhat rearranged though.

When I've discovered that the GUI look's and feel have been knows in
Linux for years, I've got fed up with it and longing back for the good
old Linux days :-)

I then discovered that the development of linux really have being
increased since the last time I saw it :-)

Now my decision have been made I want to install Debian !

Using Debian should only be for desktop use (Gnome), mayby later
supplied with some webserver stuff.

But I have some doubts/thoughts about which flavour to use.

I want to have a stable release installed and then "Sarge" would be
the choice, but looking at the descriptions mayby "Etch" should be the
lucky one, primarily because my processor is 64 bit.

My System (Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo H) (Vista ready BLEEH !!):
AMD 64 3800+ X2 DUAL core, 2000 Mhz, 2 core's 2 processors
2 GB of RAM's
2x250 GB harddisc (one of them used to store music and fotos)
ATI Radeon X700SE w/256 MB
Samsung Syncmaster 940BF, LCD
WLAN Router D-Link DI-524

What release and what installation method would you recommend ??

Thanks!

/niller
Registred Linux user #133791