Re: New Debian user

Thanks for reply.

I'm not sure I want to repartitioning my other harddrive because I
have 60 GB of music and fotos on it, so only one of them should have
Debian on it.
I presume it's possible to mount the media harddrive and catch my
stuff from there ?

My router has a fine internal firewall so hopefully it shold be safe
to install Etch ? :-/

/niller

If you look at the release notes for Etch you'll see that a testing box
shouldn't be connected directly to the internet.  If you have another
box to use as a firewall, then I would go with Etch.

Are your harddiscs PATA or SATA?  If SATA then Sarge probably (perhaps
too strong) won't work with them.

If you go with Etch, go with amd64.  Further, I would suggest that you
set up your drives with equal partitions this:
        1       64 MB   raid1   --> /boot
        2       16 GB   raid1   --> lvm: vg-system
        3       remainder       --> lvm: vg-local

vg-system:
        lv-root 256 MB  --> /
        lv-usr  4 GB    --> /usr
        lv-var  4 GB    --> /var
        lv-swap 2 GB    --> consider dm-crypt   --> swap

vg-local:
        lv-home 16 GB?  --> /home

This can all be setup from within the installer (a very sweet partman).

This is how I have my new Etch amd64 with dual 80GB SATA drives set up.
If you find you need the performance of striping for something you can
create a new lv-work with striping.  This is also based on having good
backups for /home since its not protected by raid1.

The advantage of the raid1 setup for the system is that if a drive dies,
you won't be doing a reinstall (you would of course loose your /home
directory).

For cad there is quite a choice (search the packages in Etch for 'cad')
and some talk about sharing files with AutoCad.  I haven't tried any yet
since Etch and my box are so new (I still have AutoCad 11 in the box
somewhere, it ran on DOS).

Enjoy,

Doug.