Re: Add hardware to an existing system

kevin bailey wrote:
Something I've never known how to do?!?!

Say I've installed Etch (which looks as good as Ubuntu BTW) on to a PC - and
I then need to install a new graphics card and a DVD burner.

Now I take it that during installation the hardware was detected and the
various modules were selected and loaded.  How to I tell the system to load
the new modules required?

Thanks,

Kevin

It's a mixed bag.

I just added a DVD Burner:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106013
for $30! Check that price!
and it was detected right away and mondo used it w/o problem.

I only use Nvidia graphics cards and those are detected right away by the Nvidia driver (I use the closed source driver, not the Debian package).

However, I added a USB disk, through adding an ATA disk:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148095
to an external enclosure:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145657
and plugged that into the USB port and that was detected right away also. But I could not boot from it: motherboard BIOS problem.

If I added an entry to my /etc/fstab for the USB disk, it would cause no problems with a Debian stock kernel, because it uses initrd, but with my custom kernel I would have to add the initrd option to load usb-storage support.

My daughter bought a USB external modem for me and it would never work, because of the proprietary M$ driver.

Bottomline: it depends on what you're adding and what hardware you have installed.

Hugo