Greetings and a minor rave!!

Hi all

I'm new to Debian - having run Slackware solidly since 8.1 I have become used to particular ways of maintaining my machine and also became used to a certasin belt-&-braces mentality. I loved Slackware, found tremendous respect for the stable way Pat Volkerding put it together and maintained it over the years. So, this is my first venture forth into Debian and using Etch with Gnome as my DE, with 1Gb RAM, a P4 processor and 200Gb HDD I am feeling well equipped to ride the obvious and demonstrable pleasures that GNU/Linux Debian Etch brings the user. This is *so* very cool.

Well done any developers who read this - thanks for building this: this is a rush!! I love apt-get and how stable the system seems to be, and responsive too. I am still on a very steep learning curve, so would welcome anyone's steer in terms of learning how to optimise my system and good documentation for a Debian-n00b.

I am seriously impressed with this system and just wanted to introduce myself. Lots to learn - lots of fun to be had: this is what computing was meant to be ...

wheeeeeee .... :D