Re: Greetings and a minor rave!!

Welcome!

I too started with Slackware some ten years ago or so and in '99
started with Debian Slink, 2.1 and quickly moved to Potato, 2.2, when
it was released.  You will quickly discover the "Debian Way" to system
administration.  Debconf helps a lot amd packages generally have
sensible defaults that are often more sensible than from upstream.

System configuration files are in /etc and one trick I've learned is to
check /etc/default first for configuration files.  Also, get into
/usr/share/doc/package_name and view the README.Debian file before
anything else as it usually has essential information for getting
started with a package.

I've come to the conclusion that the original is still the best.  I've
tried several of the Debian derivatives and in my experience, they're
fine until upgraded and then they seem to fall apart over time.
Debian has remained the most usable distribution over the long-haul for
me which is a testament to all of the hard work done by everyone in the
Debian Community.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of