Re: configuring? kernel and header source

Thanks for the suggestions.  Actually, it was just that you have to
unzip the sources after installing them.  I didn't know that.  Seems
like the package installation would do such a thing, but I guess not.
Can any C compilers work with zipped up sources; I'm a java developer
so my C knowledge is a bit hazy and distant at this point.

On 12/12/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 12:03:37 -0700, ChadDavis wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to install a nvidia driver and have run into some issues
> with getting the installer to locate my header sources.
>
> I'm running etch if it matters.
>
> I've installed the linux-source and linux-headers packages for my
> kernel with apt-get.  Yet, the installer still says it can't find a
> header file that it needs and suggest that I need to "configure" my
> source.  What does this mean?  Is there some configuration tasks to be
> done with installing source?  I couldn't find any documentation of
> such.

I have never used the nvidia installer with the Debian stock kernels,
but based on my experience with my custom kernels I think that it might
be sufficient to create a /usr/src/linux symlink which points to your
kernel headers directory.

If that does not work then you will probably have to use the
"--kernel-source-path" option to point the installer to the correct
directory. (See the nvidia README.txt and/or run the installer script
with "--advanced-options" to get a brief explanation.)

--
Regards,
          Florian