Re: Mdadm Corruption

On 05.12.06 15:54, Maxus wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, I'm well aware the device is a hardware raid

highpoint 1640 is NOT a hardware raid controller, see
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

> controller, but like most cheap raid card this unit uses the host CPU
> to do the raid striping. I was concerned that if the card failed I
> would lose my raid array, So I wanted to use mdadm so that I could just
> replace the card with some other and have it continue working, as there
> is no really advantage to the card as it uses the host CPU any way. The
> other reason I choose the card is that it has 4 sata ports and my
> current machine doesn't have any. The cards driver allows you to
> disable the raid part of the controller and simply use it as a sata
> expansion card.

i think linux will always use it as SATA card with up to 4 independent sata
disks, unless you will run dmraid.

> And as for mdadm its been working fine untill now (18 Months). I belive
> it was a power shortage but I'm not 100% sure, but the issues doesn't
> lie with the card nor its abillities the issue is FSCK getting caught
> in a perpetual loop.
>
> I'm running debain 2.6.8-3-386 version 3.1 the SATA card is use the
> open source driver proved by highpoint and has 4 x 200 GB western
> didgital drives connected in a raid 5 configuration.

open source or highpoint-provided? Or do they already provide open-source
RAID driver? (why?)