Re: xserver-xorg: recent upgrade blowed out my X server

Oh...its good to see that it has worked with you. I had a lotta trouble with
the 2.6.8 Kernel on Debian Sarge 3.1r0 and that video card.

Well..but here I am a bit confused. The 2.6.8 kernel doesn't even have the
module required for this video card. I wonder how could you do that when its
not there! The 2.6.8 has the PROSavage module, which I tried with this video
card, but it did not work. You sure you are using the exact same card as the
OP?

True.
I had serious trouble with that card too, but never said there was a kernel module to use for.
I first used a Knoppix live cd to see how it did the trick: frame buffer device.

I just recompiled the kernel adding the necessary modules or simply loaded them... dont't remember exactly, it was a couple of years ago but it was a nightmare.

After that, I simply continued to run "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" regularly, being very careful to not broke something when migrating to Xorg when entered in testing.
I was very surprised for that, but unfortunately I blowed out my old X11 directory after Xorg took place without any troubles, so I can't  post my old xfree86 conf but I am sure I did it with a frame buffer device like Knoppix did.

PS: When the Kernel itself doesn't support something, I guess we have to
simply switch over to a newer kernel version. (or if the earlier kernel
versions had it, then probably downgrade) But I don't think it is possible
when the kernel doesn't support something, external modules can be added to
it, and that specific thing can be made to work. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am not able to reply (I am not a geek  :-(  ) but I remember graphics cards can use fbdev a kind of "last chance driver" when specific drivers are unavailable.

--
Regards,
Amit.

cheers