Strange problem with logging

Hi all!

	I've found strange problem. I've few identical headless machines,
running debian sarge from CF (read-only), with /var on tmpfs.
	After some period of time, on two of this machines I have the following
problem: machine is working, responding to ping, but SNMP dies
(timeout....) and it is impossible to logon.
ssh -v ...   hangs after:
debug1: Entering interactive session.

After Ctlr+C Ctrl+C ssh disconects.
When I'm trying to login from console, it hangs after entering of
password.
Again Ctrl+C Ctrl+C comes back to Username: prompt.

There is nothing on the screen.

Additionally Ctrl+Alt+Del isn't working.

All other machines working perfect. All CFs are a copies of single
image, hardware is exactly same.

I suspected, that maybe, the space on /var is exhausted, but on another
machine, I was able to login even if there was no free space at all.

The problem happends every few weeks, so it is not easy to reproduce it.
After restart everything works fine.

Does anyone have any idea ?
Best regards
Jarek