Re: xserver-xorg: recent upgrade blowed out my X server

On Saturday 25 November 2006 16:30, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 02:23:53PM +0530, Amit Joshi wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 November 2006 21:56, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> > <trimmed>
> >
> > > mhhh... I don't have a  "Savage Video Cards" section,  I am compiling
> > > from 2.6.8 sources, should I use newer ones?.. but still asking myself
> > > why it worked..
> > > going crazy with this!
> >
> > Yep. You need to upgrade. The 2.6.8 Kernel doesn't support this Video
> > Card. I am using the 2.6.17-2 kernel now. Works fine.
> >
> > I had tried the 2.4 Sarge Kernel. (don't remember the exact version
> > number though). The 2.4 kernel used to work fine. Maybe this explains why
> > everything was working fine previously.
> > But the 2.6.8 kernel (The unstable kernel on the Sarge CD) doesn't
> > support the "savage" module.
>
> Just installed Sarge (3.1r1 CD's) with 2.6.8 kernel on a machine with
> that video card and the savage driver worked. The s3 driver would NOT
> work.

Oh...its good to see that it has worked with you. I had a lotta trouble with
the 2.6.8 Kernel on Debian Sarge 3.1r0 and that video card.

Well..but here I am a bit confused. The 2.6.8 kernel doesn't even have the
module required for this video card. I wonder how could you do that when its
not there! The 2.6.8 has the PROSavage module, which I tried with this video
card, but it did not work. You sure you are using the exact same card as the
OP?

PS: When the Kernel itself doesn't support something, I guess we have to
simply switch over to a newer kernel version. (or if the earlier kernel
versions had it, then probably downgrade) But I don't think it is possible
when the kernel doesn't support something, external modules can be added to
it, and that specific thing can be made to work. Correct me if I am wrong.
--
Regards,
Amit.

Remember fellas, what we do in life echoes in eternity!