Re: orientation with respect to tex, auctex, tetex, texlive, etc.

Russell L. Harris:

> I have been using LaTeX for five years, but with Debian I always have
> taken the system for granted -- it always has been there, and it "Just
> Works".
>
> Is this going to change in the near future?  Where can I go for a
> basic orientation and for more information on the options which are
> available to me?

As far as I know, tetex will still be in Debian throughout Etch's
lifecycle. That means there is no urgent need for you to switch. In the
long run, switching to texlive is probably a good idea. I did that a few
months ago (on an unstable system) and it was quite straight-forward.
The only thing you need to do is installing texlive and do a few
'apt-cache search'es so that all your fonts and other packages are
available again.

J.
--
When driving at night I find the headlights of oncoming vehicles very
attractive.