Re: No more than 255 device files with Debian Sarge

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 10:37:32AM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> Hello!
>
> 0. I discovered a strange phenomenon with a Debian
>    Sarge installation. I am able to replicate it
>    on several machines. It occurs on freshly
>    installed machines as well as on "older" ones.
>
>    The problem is this:
>
>    I want to create more than 4000 device files
>    for a project. I am aware that this is an
>    uncommon scenario. But it is a customer request.
>
>    Generating the device files works well for the
>    first 255 ones. Then the major number is
>    incremented by 1 and the minor number starts over
>    with 0. mknod NEVER returns an error.
>
> 1. I tried this with kernel 2.6.8 as well as with
>    kernel 2.6.16 - no change. devfs is removed.

<snip>
Hi Stefan,
AFAIK this issue is directly related to the kernel and would seem to be
an implmentation and/or configuration issue. If you can not get it to
work on an unstable kernel, then you should ask the Debian kernel folks
or ask it on the debian-devel mailing list if no one answers here as
well as making a bug report.
Cheers,
Kev
ps.
did you do a diff on the ubuntu kernel config to maybe get a sense if
its a simple confuration issue?