Re: orientation with respect to tex, auctex, tetex, texlive, etc.

Russell L. Harris schrieb am 23.11.2006 08:07:

> I just discovered a May 2006 announcement by Thomos Esser that he has
> decided not to make additional new releases of teTeX; he recommends
> that those interested in teTeX join the TeXlive project.
>
> For me, this announcement brings up the question of how teTeX, aucTeX,
> TeXlive, etc., relate to the realm of TeX.  I Googled for a while, but
> I found no document which provides an overview showing the role served
> by the various packages.

teTeX and TeXLive are so called distributions of a TeX system as
Debian is one of the many distributions of a GNU/Linux system.
TeXLive usually has more recent packages than teTeX because it is
released every year whereas teTeX wasn't[1]. AUCTeX[2] is an
extension for the Emacs editor to facilitate writing of .tex and
related files and doesn't ship with teTeX or TeXLive---it has to be
installed separately (AFAIK).

>>From Synaptic, it appears that my recent installation of Etch is using
> tetex, and that neither auctex or texlive are installed.

> I have been using LaTeX for five years, but with Debian I always have
> taken the system for granted -- it always has been there, and it "Just
> Works".
>
> Is this going to change in the near future?

No. There's good work done by the Debian teTeX and TeXLive
maintainers to allow a smooth migration from teTeX to TeXLive.

> Where can I go for a
> basic orientation and for more information on the options which are
> available to me?

As teTeX isn't maintained anymore TeXLive is the future for Unix
based systems. But it should make no difference to you---apart from
different/newer versions distributed with TeXLive.

There's a mailing list for TeX related discussions in Debian.

HTH

Best,
   Christoph

[1] http://www.tug.org/ftp/historic/systems/teTeX/