Re: xserver-xorg: recent upgrade blowed out my X server

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 14:36, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

> Do I have to download this kernel form kernel.org? I did a package search
> on debian.org but found only 2.6.8 kernel for

Nope. I don't compile the kernel unless there's any specific need to do so. I
just simply trust the Debian Kernel Team and install the Kernel they provide.
(the one which gets installed directly and the one that runs out of the
box. )

I don't know what you have in your /etc/apt/sources.list file, but here's the
relevant line that should help you fetch the required kernel.

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

Once you have added this line, do
apt-get update     and then, use

apt-cache search "linux-image"  to search for the kernel-image appropriate for
your architecture.

I have the following package installed on my system.
linux-image-2.6.17-2-686 - Linux 2.6.17 image on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/P4

--
Regards,
Amit.

Remember fellas, what we do in life echoes in eternity!