Re: minitoc.sty package for TeX - which version is in "unstable" archive?

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 02:01:08 -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> I have need of the latest version (version 49) of the "minitoc.sty"
> package for TeX.  The version in Debian "testing" is version 40, which
> is dated December 2004, and does not work properly in my application.
>
> I have downloaded the tetex-extra .deb package from the Debian "unstable"
> archive, in order to attempt to determine the version of "minitoc.sty" package.
> I ran the command:
>
>      $ dpkg --fsys-tarfile tetex-extra_3.0.dfsg.3-1_all.deb | tar -xf -
>      minitoc*
>
> which generated the error messages:
>
>     tar: Pattern matching characters used in file names. Please,
>     tar: use --wildcards to enable pattern matching, or --no-wildcards to
>     tar: suppress this warning.
>     tar: minitoc*: Not found in archive
>     tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

tetex-extra on Sid (3.0.dfsg.3-1) still has the old version:

\def\fileversion{v40}
\def\filedate{2004/12/20}

(Side note: The easiest way to extract files from a .deb is to use
 "dpkg-deb -x" or "dpkg-deb -X".)

> I also downloaded version 49 of the minitoc package directly from
> www.ctan.org, and I read the installation instructions.  In order to
> install minitoc.sty, several scripts need to be configured and run.
> But I do not know enough about the Debian implementation of the TeX,
> teTeX, aucTeX, etc., packages to know how to configure the scripts; I
> fear that I would corrupt the entire system.
>
> There is is a "debian-tex-maint" list at lists.debian.org, but the
> list description emphatically states that the list is not for support.
>
> So how should I proceed?

If version 43 is new enough for you than you could consider switching
from tetex to texlive; texlive-latex-extra 2005.dfsg.2-3 has minitoc
v43.

If that is not acceptable then I would try to install the newer version
of minitoc in your $HOME/texmf/tex/latex directory (or a subdirectory
thereof). You can do that as a normal user so there will be no risk of
screwing up the system-wide latex installation.

--
Regards,
          Florian